The name of the club shall be West Nottingham Chess Club (referred to below as ‘the club’).
- To encourage the playing of chess in the West Nottingham area in particular and surrounding regions in general, irrespective of race, gender, disability or age
- To enter teams in leagues and tournaments so as to provide sufficient opportunities for competitive chess for all members
- To organise competitions between members of the club
The club shall affiliate to such bodies as are necessary to pursue its aims.
- Membership is open to anyone on payment of the annual subscription.
- Membership categories may be determined by a general meeting.
- All categories of membership have equal voting rights at general meetings.
- Membership may be suspended or terminated by the committee in the event that a member acts against the interests of the club.
- Members shall pay annual subscriptions of an amount determined by the club at its Annual General Meeting.
- Annual subscriptions shall become due to be paid on or before a prospective member’s fourth visit to the club and will entitle players to membership of the club from the date of receipt up to and including the next Annual General Meeting.
- Members joining on or after 1 March shall pay a reduced annual subscription (which may be zero), but shall not have voting rights at meetings unless they pay the full annual subscription.
- An additional charge per member per visit to the club is payable.
- The committee shall conduct the affairs of the club in accordance with the constitution. Any decision of the committee may be overridden by the club’s membership at a general meeting.
- The committee shall consist of: (i) President, (ii) Secretary, (iii) Treasurer, (iv) Deputy Secretary, (v) Deputy Treasurer, (vii) Safeguarding Officer and (viii) Junior Representative (under 18 years of age), all of whom shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting; and (viii) the team captains, who shall be appointed by the committee.
- The position of team captain may be held simultaneously with any other committee post.
- Committee meetings may be called by the President, Secretary or Treasurer, or by any three other members of the committee.
- Four committee members shall constitute a quorum.
- The Chair at all committee meetings shall be taken by the President or, in the President’s absence, by the Deputy President. If both are absent, the meeting shall appoint a chairperson for that meeting only.
- Each member of the committee present at a meeting shall have one vote. In the event of a tie, the chairperson shall have an additional or casting vote.
- The committee shall be authorised to disburse club funds, on behalf of the club, for any purpose it deems necessary.
- The committee shall have the power to co-opt members to fill any casual vacancy which may arise, the co-opted member to serve for the remainder of the predecessor’s term.
- Each committee member will serve for a term of one year. One year in this context shall be the period from one Annual General Meeting to the next.
- Other officers
The committee may appoint other officers as it sees fit to oversee specific activities of the club.
- Annual General Meeting
The Annual General Meeting of the club shall be held at the end of June or thereabouts each year, in order to:
- Approve the minutes of the previous Annual General Meeting and deal with any business arising therefrom
- Receive reports by the President, Secretary, Treasurer and team captains.
- Elect the committee members for the following year
- Fix the amount of the annual subscription and weekly fees
- Transact any further business
- Extraordinary General Meeting
An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be convened on a resolution of the committee or on a requisition signed by at least five members of the club. Such requisition shall specify the business to be conducted and the Extraordinary General Meeting shall be held within one calendar month from the date of receipt of the requisition by the Secretary.
- General meeting procedures
- The chair at all general meetings shall be taken by the President or, in the President’s absence, by the Deputy President. If both are absent, the meeting shall appoint a chairperson for that meeting only.
- Five members or 25% of the membership, whichever is smaller, shall constitute a quorum at general meetings.
- At any general meeting, each member attending, whatever their category of membership, shall have one vote. In the event of a tie, the chairperson shall have an additional or casting vote.
- At least 14 days’ notice shall be given, via post or email, and on the club’s web site, of all general meetings of the club. The notice shall specify the time, date and venue of the meeting and, for an Extraordinary General Meeting, the business to be conducted.
- Amendments to the constitution
The constitution may be amended on a two-thirds majority vote of the members present at any general meeting of the club.
- Dissolution of the club
- The club may be dissolved by a three-quarters majority vote at a general meeting at which 50% or more of the membership is present.
- On payment of any outstanding debts, the club’s remaining funds and assets, if any, shall be donated to an organisation that promotes junior chess in Nottinghamshire, or, failing that, to an organisation that promotes junior chess in England. The beneficiary may not be an organisation of which a club member is also an officer.